From front desk staff and 1909 servers to Adventure Centre guides and marina management, Tofino Resort + Marina is brimming with activity and opportunity. If you’re a service-oriented professional or simply a people person, send your application to: email@example.com.
POSITION: GENERAL MANAGER
Career Lifestyle Balance
Inspired by Adventure?
In summer 2017, Tofino Resort + Marina opened its doors following a new ownership investment of $10 million, resulting in a full renovation and rebrand.
Inspired by adventure, Tofino Resort + Marina is perfectly positioned just a short walk from the charm and culinary gems of this flourishing, ocean-side community. The only full-service resort situated downtown, on Tofino Inlet, offers 62 guest rooms with ocean views, balconies, stylish décor & wall photography wraps by Jeremy Koreski. We also own and operate Tofino’s largest private marina offering moorage for pleasure craft & yachts up to 130’ along with our onsite Marine Adventure Centre which offers bear & whale watching tours, fishing, hot spring tours, paddle boarding, free diving and our onsite public fitness centre Tuff Fit.
Two waterfront dining experiences complete the property: 1909 Kitchen with a Pacific-inspired, ingredient-driven menu; and The Hatch Waterfront Pub, a laid-back meeting place offering traditional pub food with fresh, local ingredients, both with 2019 Top Chef Canada winner Chef Paul Moran at the helm.
Adventure seekers coming to battle the waves, foodies drawn to the unique tastes of Tofino’s incredible culinary scene, and ocean lovers looking for a hip home base – Tofino Resort + Marina is the perfect place to experience the spirit of the wild, west coast.
Why Tofino Resort + Marina?
- Life/work balance of living in beautiful Tofino.
- Dedicated, passionate and present ownership
- Just completed $10 million in capital improvements. Phase two of improvements coming soon.
- Opportunity to play an important role in a key property in the community which is set up for growth.
- Location: Tofino has repeated been lauded in national, North American and global publications as a top travel destination in the world.
- Ownership group that brings experience in adventure and marine operations.
- Award winning chef brings instant credibility to F&B program.
- Forecasted sales of between $7-8 million dollars for 2019
- 100 staff at peak summer and 60-70 staff in the off-season
- 85 seats inside and 30 seats on the patio.
- 70% of guests are tourists and 30% locals.
- Menu is family style, shared plates (think Nightingale in Vancouver).
- Executive Chef Paul Moran has worked in Michelin-starred kitchens in Europe, won the inaugural Hawksworth Young Chef Scholarship and just recently 2019 Top Chef Canada.
The Hatch Waterfront Pub:
- 100 seats inside, 75 patio
- Mostly a local’s hangout, with 70% guests local and 30% are tourists
- Hosts special events during the week like live music, tastings, etc.
- Only pub in Tofino.
The Upper Hatch:
- 65 seated, 86 capacity inside and 60 on open patio.
- Dedicated event space above the pub with spectacular views of the water/inlet.
- Only self-contained bar in Tofino in private event space, completely private.
- Group Bookings & Events and catering business has lots of growth opportunity
- 62 guest rooms fully renovated
- No room service on site
- Installed brand new marina in 2017
- 58 slips; currently the only marina on the west side of Vancouver Island with moorage up to 130’
- Fully staffed
- Each slip includes designated domestic water and power
- Ice available, mobile device enabled security cameras for boaters to check on their boats as well as a security gate at entrance
- New shower and laundry facilities
- Fuel services
- Tuff Fit, Tofino’s premier fitness centre
- Whale/Bear/Hot Springs tours
- One closed boat (30’ Blackfish), one open boat (26’ White Raven).
- Additionally, a 21’ Grady White, used for our Ultimate Adventure, for private tours and fishing charters.
- Five fly boats used for the inshore fisheries, marine training courses and foot passengers.
- Daily service via Harbour Air direct from Vancouver Harbour to resort.
- 2000 sf state of the art fitness centre
- For use of hotel/marina guests and memberships/drop in rates available to community members/other Tofino guests
POSITION: GENERAL MANAGER
- Preferably 5 years of experience in an AGM or GM role at a resort, but ultimately the right skill set is most important.
- Degree in Business Management or Masters in Business Administration
- Experience in destination tourism
- Experience managing a multi brand resort.
- History of success
- Highly organized
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Strong communication skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Computer literate
- Situational awareness
- Likes adventure, the outdoors and is social in nature
- Ability to implement a reporting structure and hold team accountable.
- Experience developing budgets
- Experience building accountability systems (scorecards, sales targets & measurement structures)
- Understanding the dynamics & subtleties of the hotel, marina & F&B businesses
- Ability to educate, teach and mentor team members
- Understands how to sell the brand and its components when in the community and tradeshows in authentic way.
- Ability to communicate efficiently on email and in person
- Build an operational model which will drive specific outcomes that have a direct impact on revenue, profits, organizational efficiency and guest experience while mitigating misses that directly affect the bottom line. Be able to manage the day efficiently and have a grasp on all business and their issues/on-going events
- Assess the organizational chart, make changes as needed. Lead team strategic planning sessions embracing input, contribution & accountability.
- Create a “line of sight” reporting structure for operational efficiency which flows up from respective managers to GM.
- Earn respect in the community for being operationally efficient and an employer of choice.
- Drive sales north of $10 million
- Increase service standards in all outlets
Priorities of the General Manager role
- Ability to work closely with the Managing Partner execute brand vision & keep open lines of communication in all aspects of the business.
- Support & engage the management team with positivity, building consensus & loyalty for the continued success, growth & vision of the business.
- Oversee daily operations
- Improve revenue
- Research and identify growth opportunities
- Review, place and analyze budgets.
- Evaluate performance and productivity
- Generate reports and give presentations.
- Ensure property safety and security
- Hire/train employees and develop responsible HR environment
- Oversee maintenance team and develop preventive maintenance program
- Manage and have strong understanding of property management systems.
- Experience working with wholesalers and OTA’s.
- Will pay competitively, based on experience and skillset, performance bonus plan.
- Group Health Benefits Plan
- Housing available (two–bedroom townhouse)
- Tuff Fit membership
At Tofino Resort + Marina we are inspired by adventure, and we are seeking the next adventurous employee to join our team in beautiful Tofino, British Columbia. We need an accounting team member who strives to balance the books as well as they balance on a surfboard.
Tofino Resort + Marina is an adventure-focused resort with 62 rooms located on the waterfront, and is also the proud home of 1909 Kitchen and The Hatch Waterfront Pub. Set in the heart of town, on the water, Tofino Resort + Marina is base camp for west coast adventure. We serve the authentic Tofino experience, from fantastic food to the famous fishing of Clayoquot to the surf breaks of Long Beach. And we want you to join us.
The Accounting Assistant is responsible for all basic accounting and administrative duties, and reports to the Financial Controller.
- Providing support to the Accounting Department which handles the hotel, restaurants and marina.
- Performing basic office tasks, such as filing, data entry, answering phones, processing the mail, ordering supplies etc.
- Handling communications with clients and vendors via phone, email, and in-person.
- Processing transactions, issuing checks, and updating ledgers, budgets, etc.
- Preparing financial reports.
- Assisting with audits, fact checks, and resolving discrepancies.
- Post-secondary degree in related field with work experience.
- Strong leadership skills are a must.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to multi-task under pressure, and creative problem-solving skills are necessary
- Strong financial acumen to compile budgets and be able to offer financial reporting for each department that falls under this role.
- Proficiency with computers and bookkeeping software, strong typing skills. Microsoft Windows/Office (Excel and Office 365) and QuickBooks experience is a must.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Tofino Resort + Marina is unable to assist candidates in obtaining Canadian work authorization.
- Wage based on skillset
- 50% off on-site F&B
- Free Tuff Fit gym membership on site
- Free Adventure Tours
- Work/life balance of living in magical Tofino