TofinoEats Recipe of the Month: Potatoes + Seaweed Salsa Verde
At 1909 Kitchen, Executive Chef Paul Moran has cultivated a reputation for foraging many of the ingredients in his fresh west coast-inspired dishes. Moran recently cooked his wrinkled Warba potatoes cooked in sea water + seaweed salsa verde for the team at CTV Morning Live Vancouver.
- 2 lbs of new potatoes, washed with skins on
- 2 bunches of Italian parsley
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 100 grams of fresh nori (or other seaweed leaves)
- 3 tbsp minced shallot
- 500 ml virgin cold pressed canola oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and chop parsley, add parsley and all other ingredients to a blender and puree until you have achieved the texture of a pesto. Then incorporate shallot by hand with a spatula. Store in the fridge until needed
- Cover the potatoes in sea water and bring to a boil, cook until tender, drain all but 150ml of the water and reduce until dry in a pan until potatoes become coated in sea salt. Hold potatoes in a warm oven for serving, they will become concentrated and wrinkled.
- Place some of the salsa verde on the bottom of the pate and then arrange the potatoes on top. Garnish with your favourite spring greens or herbs from the garden. Enjoy