TofinoEats Recipe of the Month: Miso Black Cod
Paul Moran’s Sumptuous Cedar-roasted, Miso-marinated Black Cod
If you’ve eaten at 1909 Kitchen, you know Chef Paul Moran’s incredibly popular black cod dish. Either you ordered it and raved about its rich clean flavour to your friends later, or you saw it float by on a steaming cedar plank to another table, and maybe wondered if you made the right decision. The best part? It’s easy to make if you plan ahead. Buy the freshest fish you can. Pair with your favourite summer vegetables to accompany the fish. 1909 Kitchen’s choice sides include grilled tofu and spring onions.
4 X 200-gram portions of black cod fillets
100 grams white miso paste
100 grams maple syrup
100 ml sake
30 ml lime or yuzu juice
Four cedar planks
- Begin by soaking cedar planks in cold water for 24 hours.
- Mix the miso, maple, sake and citrus juice into a Ziploc bag until combined.
- Add the black cod to the bag with the marinade and let sit for 6-12 hours.
- Preheat a BBQ or wood-burning oven to 600 Fahrenheit.
- Remove the cod from the bag and place one serving on each cedar plank.
- Place the planks in the oven or on the grill, and close the lid or door. Roast for approximately 8-10 minutes or until the fish begins to flake.
- Serve with pride to guests.