Forage and Savour Your Coastal Harvest
Taking place twice a month from October – November 2020, join master forager Paul Moran and our Executive Chef Terry Somerville who will take you into Tofino’s rainforest coastline. Set out in comfort from Tofino Resort + Marina with an intimate group of up to 12 into a guided foraging adventure. You will experience an unforgettable excursion that is off the beaten path. Foraging for mushrooms and edible ocean treasures are part of the guided experience, while identifying the morsels and harvesting them together is half the fun. After identifying and collecting your treasurers, we will take you back to the resort and our talented 1909 Kitchen team will come up with delicious ways to prepare and present you with an unforgettable meal to end your day.
- Foraging takes place on the Saturday, where guests will forage during the day (transportation is provided and we all depart from Tofino Resort + Marina)
- Guests return at 3pm to the resort; A multi-course dinner featuring foraged edibles from the day’s excursion is prepared by Executive Chef Terry Somerville and ready for 7pm dining at 1909 Kitchen (Alcohol/beverages, tax and gratuity are not included)
- Guest Chef Phil Scarfone will only be joining on the Saturday, November 21, 2020 excursion and dining experience
Special Guest Chef Phil Scarfone joins Chef Terry Somerville on Saturday November 21, 2020 to deliver an unforgettable forage to feast experience. Guests will join both chefs and Paul Moran to forage, harvest and learn about the bounties of our coastal rainforest. At the end of the excursion, guests are treated to an unforgettable feast on their curated finds, created by Chef Scarfone and Chef Somerville in 1909 Kitchen.
Phil is the Culinary Director for the Savio Volpe family of restaurants, including Pepino’s Spaghetti House and Caffé La Tana. Born and raised in Hamilton, Ontario, Phil moved to Vancouver in 2009 and held positions at db Bistro Moderne in Kitsilano, and Oru Cuisine at the Fairmont Pacific Rim. He was then chosen to be part of the opening team at Hawksworth Restaurant under the mentorship of Chef de Cuisine Kristian Eligh. After working through every station, he went on to run all private dining and offsite catering functions. Phil then returned to the Hawksworth pass until 2016, when he was tapped to be the opening Head Chef of Nightingale restaurant in Coal Harbour. In 2017, he was named “Best Chef” in the 2017 Georgia Straight Golden Plates, an honour he humbly shared with his team of 40 cooks at Nightingale. Most recently, Phil went head to head against some of Canada’s best chefs on Season 7 of Top Chef Canada where he placed 2nd overall. When he’s not in the kitchen, Phil enjoys spending time with his Partner, Hilary and their mini Australian Shepherd – Jasper. Phil also loves foraging the local mountains and forests for wild mushrooms, hiking, and pretty much anything that gets him out into nature.
- Friday Check-in after 5pm
- Saturday 8am depart 1909 Kitchen (transportation provided)
- 3pm arrive back at Tofino Resort + Marina
- 7pm dinner at 1909 Kitchen
- Sunday Check out by 11am
- Warm clothes (layers are best)
- Waterproof jacket or raincoat
- Rain pants or waterproof pants
- Gloves to keep warm and for gripping
- Comfortable hiking boots or waterproof shoes
- Lunch (light snacks provided)
- Hiking poles (not required but might be a nice to have item depending on weather)
- Foraging requires an average level of fitness
- Foraging will take place off trail